Counting cards is of great importance to a blackjack strategy because it tells you what to do next with regard to your initial two cards. Though it’s not magical, learning how to count cards in blackjack is something everyone can learn to do.
After you’ve received your two cards, you have to keep track of the total cards.
- The dealer will also keep track of the total number of cards with his cards. When either of these numbers are high, it means that there are more ten cards in the deck and more cards that can be used to outnumber your hand. If the total number of cards is low, then there are more small cards in the deck and more cards that will help you make your hand.
- To perform card counting in blackjack, you need to assign a positive and negative value to different cards in the deck. For example, if you have a three-card hand, you can positive (-) two cards and you’ll positive (+) a card or two cards. Keep doing this with your two cards and add one card for every time you win. You’ll end up with your ultimate hand – which is a good one if the deck has a lot of tens – and your starting bet will be a lot higher than if you started with a low two-card hand.
- Learning how to count cards in blackjack is important to increasing your odds of winning. Of course, there are other things that are important to winning, like followup betting when your hand is weak and making the right folding decisions. But increasing your odds of winning is just about the only thing you should be worrying about.
How card counting works is relatively simple.
Basically, as cards are being dealt, you start keeping track of certain cards. The idea is that you don’t want to have high cards anymore. As you start approaching the twenty-card mark, you start decreasing the cards that you keep track of.
A high card is a card that doesn’t fit in with your current hand. If you have a low card, you have a less than desirable hand. If you have two high cards, you have a potentially strong hand. But a medium card would be a kind of a weak hand. If you have three high cards, you have what’s called a pushing hand. You have no good hands on the table if you have any of these combinations.
When you have any hand combinations, you should look at your starting card at the dealer and determine if the card will improve your hand. If you have a pair, for example, you should make a prediction regarding the next card. You may or may not make your prediction before the cards are dealt. That’s a subject for another article. Once you know the cards will probably improve your hand, you have to either stay with the hand or fold.
There are different levels of betting. The more you bet, the more you stand to lose. The limits are set by the casino, not by the amounts of your bets. As long as you are not the maximum bet holder or the minimum wagerer, you can play. The trick is to bet small enough so that the casino will give you a chance to start betting again after a few wins. In that case, you can come back and play again if you want to.
- There are a lot of websites that offer online gambling systems, including roulette systems, blackjack systems, and card counting systems. These can also be good sources of strategies to play with. So once you find a reliable system to use, stick with it. Don’t go chasing random ideas you read in a book or on the internet. By doing this, you’ll not only save a lot of money you would’ve spent on gambling books and supplies, you also minimize your possible losses.
- So if you’ve decided that learning to play craps is something you want to do, go ahead and give it a shot. Play conservatively and learn what you can about the game before you go to a casino. When you’re ready, you can play throughout the night and ask for tips if you see a chance you might win.
- For example, you see that the shooter is not throwing the dice well. When you see this, you may want to bet more heavily on the pass line to try and throw the dice better.